The Fish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Betta changed colors

3 posters

Go down

Betta changed colors Empty Betta changed colors

Post by Katsa Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:28 am

First, I'm so glad to see the forum is back!

Now on to the issue. My roommate got a female betta a few months ago, with a sort of a pale buttery white body and pink fins. The food the fish eats is TetraMin Tropical granules, and after a couple months the betta's body is a now a dark orangey-yellow and her fins are dark red, with some blue iridescence (she's also grown a ton). My roommate loves the fish regardless of color, don't get me wrong, but she really liked when the betta was cream/pink colored rather than this weird dark orange and red. And aside from that, this betta looks absolutely healthy and robust. Is there any way to tone down the colors through diet? Or is this just her natural healthy coloring, compared to the anemic state they tend to be in at the pet store?
Katsa
Katsa
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Betta changed colors Empty Re: Betta changed colors

Post by sjones_1 Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 am

Hi Katsa,

I would say this is most likely to be their natural colouring coming through. When young Betta can often look a lot different to their adult colouration. If she was very small when she bought her then she may have been showing her juvenile colouration and since growing her adult colours have come through. From you description she sounds like a cambodian red betta.

The food may be playing a small role in the colour but this would only enhance the red that was present rather than give the betta a red colour.

Any chance of pics?

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Katsa Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:23 pm

Hmm, that's kinda what I thought. Thanks, though!

I tried to take some pictures but she wasn't too fond of the camera xD
This is the only one that sort of came out. The light sort of bleached it out, but the tail area is most close to her real colors.
Betta changed colors 5nnccn
Katsa
Katsa
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Good to see you back Very Happy

I didn't realise that their colours could change so dramatically once they matured! Depending on conditions in the shop where she was bought, she could have been pale through stress, bad water, etc. ?
She is absolutely stunning now Very Happy
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

http://rachellefryatt.blogspot.co.uk/p/art.html

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:33 pm

The change is quite impressive. In my recent spawn I was only dealing with reds and oranges so the change wasn't do dramatic but this male went from this:
Betta changed colors DSCF1190
To this:
Betta changed colors DSCF1155

He's now the biggest non-giant male betta I've ever seen.

Katsa, can you upload some more pics of this betta? I have a feeling it could be male but without more pics it's hard to tell.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Wow, he's a stunner Sam!

I too was wondering if the betta posted could be male. Very long ventral fins for a female?
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Katsa Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:10 am

Oops, sorry I disappeared for a little bit, got busy with some things.

But WOW! Sam, that change is amazing. What a beautiful fish!

I tried to take some pictures of her(?) today, since I had her floating in a cup after her water change and she couldn't run away from me >: )

Except I only got a couple blurry ones before the camera died! So I gotta wait for that to charge, but I did get a half decent photo that more shows her true colors (actually, I think she might have gone even more orange since the last time I posted, but this was also before I turned the lights on for the day so maybe she is just darker from that)

Betta changed colors 1949sl

Now, she dwarfs my other female betta and has such robust fins and colors, but I think she is a she? You can't really see it in the photo, but she does have a little white egg spot on her belly, I've never seen her flare, and sometimes she has vertical stripes, which I'm guessing together leans towards female? Maybe she's just a tom-boy, though xD
Katsa
Katsa
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:04 pm

My guess would be male, but Sam will have a much better idea I'm sure Smile beautiful either way!
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down