The Fish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm never getting another betta.....

5 posters

Go down

I'm never getting another betta..... Empty I'm never getting another betta.....

Post by Flute Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Didn't last long. In fact, I'm back up to 9 excited

A rescued female betta was getting beaten up in my dad's tank, and I couldn't leave her. So I set my 60 ltr back up. And then I couldn't just leave her without company so I bought 4 more. And then they were squabbling so I couldn't really leave it at 5, so I've just bought another 4 XD They're all so tiny compared to the original rescued female.

60ltrs might be a little crowded for 9 females, but it'll be ok whilst they grow out. And I'm only keeping shrimp with them, so I think it'll be alright for a while.

I have one who I think is potentially a male- very bright, vivid colours, flares a lot at the others and has pretty long fins already. Guess I'll just have to wait and see, and if it turns out "he" is actually a he, I'll have to set up one of the small tanks again.

And so yeah.... It made me realise how much I've missed having betta, especially a group of females.

Photos to come later once the new guys have settled in Very Happy
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

http://rachellefryatt.blogspot.co.uk/p/art.html

Back to top Go down

I'm never getting another betta..... Empty Re: I'm never getting another betta.....

Post by sjones_1 Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Can't wait for pics!

Especially of the possible males.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

I'm never getting another betta..... Empty Re: I'm never getting another betta.....

Post by Star Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:03 pm

Never say never lol
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:14 pm

You'd think I'd know by now, wouldn't you? Razz

PICTOOR TIME!

Their tank at the moment (I'll probably re-scape it in a week or two once they've all settled in).

I'm never getting another betta..... IMG_1974

I'm never getting another betta..... IMG_2000

Crappy photo, but it gives you a rough size as to how large the rescued female is compared to the new ones.

I'm never getting another betta..... IMG_2026

I'm never getting another betta..... IMG_2047

I'm never getting another betta..... IMG_2068

I'm never getting another betta..... IMG_2093

I'm never getting another betta..... IMG_2095

Fat belly after being fed bloodworm. Peas for dinner tomorrow night methinks!

I'm never getting another betta..... IMG_2096

This one roughly shows how damaged the rescue female's fins are. These are a big improvement from when I put her in the 60ltr.

I'm never getting another betta..... IMG_2100

Group shot.

I'm never getting another betta..... IMG_2102

And the potential male. I hope I'm wrong, but this one flares so much at the others and it's reflection. Plus how brightly coloured it is. Any guesses?

I'm never getting another betta..... IMG_2114

I'm never getting another betta..... IMG_2113

I'm never getting another betta..... IMG_2112

I'm never getting another betta..... IMG_2001

The colourations on this one change depending on the lighting. Very pretty betta either way though Very Happy

And I'll stop spamming now XD *is chuffed with them all* XD

Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Very pretty betta's!

is it just me though or do they have their sex stripes on?? lol
Rusty
Rusty
Admin

https://thefishforum.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:37 pm

Considering they're only run of the mill fish shop betta, I'm very, very pleased with them Very Happy

lol, I thought they were stress stripes? Razz
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:05 am

They all look great.

There's quite a size difference between the rescue and the new ones but they'll soon catch up.

My guess for the unknown is male. Reason; the dorsal fin is large and the fins look slightly too long for a female. Also, it's not showing any stress strips in the pics and what you've mentioned about his behaviour. He'll be a very happy chap with all those ladies around.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:23 am

The rescue is pretty large for a female anyway; quite a bit larger than the females I've had in the past. Hopefully the poor old girl will recover quickly.

That's exactly what made me think he could be male too Smile It'll be interesting to see what tail type he'd be (probably a good old veil tail Razz)

For now I'll keep them together. You never know, if he grows up with them, he might not want to rip them apart. I've got several spare tanks that I could set up within minutes if things go wrong at any time, so I'm not too worried.

Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:37 am

I think he will be a traditional plakat. This is the shortfin version on the veiltail and can be quite stunning. My first betta breeding was with a traditional plakat.

This link should help:
http://www.bettas4all.nl/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=192

I'd imagine with that many females he'll be too distracted to cause any damage to one specifically.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:55 am

Ooh plakats are my favourite, so it'd be lovely if he turned out to be one Very Happy
Methinks I'll post photo updates every once in a while. It'll be cool to see how he grows, and also might be useful to anyone else who isn't sure if they have a female or juvi male.

I hope they'll be alright together, it'd be a cool little experiment to see if male and females can get on long term. My only concern will be as they grow, the 60 ltr will be too small. Oh well, I'm sure I can upgrade to a 90ltr or 125ltr later on Very Happy
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:28 pm

Tank looks beautiful as it is, a very pretty group Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Pirate Monkey Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:05 pm

Star wrote:Tank looks beautiful as it is, a very pretty group Smile

+1

they are indeed lovely, tank is fantastic.

Edit: spelling
Pirate Monkey
Pirate Monkey
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks guys Smile

I'm not completely happy with the tank yet, but they all seem to be enjoying it so I'll leave it be for the moment. I'm never really happy with my tank layouts >.<
I want to try and get some moss growing in there for the shrimp, and maybe I'll attempt a grass carpet too :3

Oh, and I got some aquarium silicone the other week, so I might give making some natural looking caves a go, so that if anyone is being picked on, there'll be plenty of places to hide Smile
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down