The Fish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WOW

+3
Flute
ladygoodwrench
Star
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WOW  - Page 2 Empty I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WOW

Post by Star Wed May 02, 2012 4:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have................. omg so excited here, got my weather loach to spawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! notoriously difficult to do (according to the net) and I have done everything wrong (according to the net) I kept their tank heated over the winter to 18c and once the ice was over I removed the heater, the koi left last week and these two have had a 5ft tank to themselves. Today I intended to move them and as I was cleaning out meatball & noodle I whitnessed them spawning. I have now moved them to another tank in the hope that some of the eggs hatch.

another rare spawning for me *punches the air and dances round the kitchen*

Managed to capture just one half decent picture of the male wrapping the female.

I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WOW  - Page 2 032-8
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WOW  - Page 2 Empty Re: I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WOW

Post by Star Tue May 08, 2012 10:41 pm

I am starting to believe it was down to the weather and the loach being in the conservatory. Breeding these guys is such hit and miss, blink and you miss it as there are no signs they are about to "do it" other than the male chasing the female briefly then wrapping himself around her.

Sam I though the exact same thing to day about marbles, but these guys are pretty powerful and if they wanted to eat the eggs they would move marbles easily.

Sadly its not something I am going to pursue, they are up for sale as a breeding pair, I have too many tanks and too much going on at the moment, its a darn shame, because someone will buy them eventually and with the luck of me selling my breeding fish the buyers usually make a small fortune off the fry lol
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WOW  - Page 2 Empty Re: I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WOW

Post by ladygoodwrench Tue May 08, 2012 11:44 pm

Loaches breed only in spring from what I have read, and they have to begin winter with cold water, then at onset of spring, increase water temperatures, to begin spawning.
ladygoodwrench
ladygoodwrench
Fish Forum Member

http://autotechsonline.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wed May 09, 2012 9:31 am

I read that too Smile but I kept the tank heated over the winter as I didnt want the koi spawning, the heater was removed 6-7 weeks ago when meatball & noodle arrived.
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygoodwrench Mon May 21, 2012 4:47 pm

What ever happened to the loach eggs, Star?
ladygoodwrench
ladygoodwrench
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Mon May 21, 2012 6:04 pm

I dont think any hatched, the tank is still running just in case, but I intend to close it down when I feel more like doing stuff. Fingers crossed I fine one though Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by myfishforsale Tue May 22, 2012 2:00 pm

Good Luck, I sure do hope you see atleast one lil swimmer
myfishforsale
myfishforsale
Fish Forum Member

http://www.myfishforsale.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wed May 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Sorry its a crap picture, but here is a baby weather loach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WOW  - Page 2 Weatherloachfry

The tank is filthy as I have just abandoned it thinking nothing hatched and being so down at the moment I havnt bothered cleaning it, there is a filter still running, the water is clear but the sides are thick with algae!
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by myfishforsale Wed May 23, 2012 4:48 pm

wooo Smile That's great news, Bet your well chuffed,
myfishforsale
myfishforsale
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygoodwrench Wed May 23, 2012 5:02 pm

OUTSTANDING!!!!
ladygoodwrench
ladygoodwrench
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wed May 23, 2012 5:06 pm

I scared hubby & the kids running in from the conservatory screaming at the top of my voice "I GOT ONE", even my neighbours now know lol
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by myfishforsale Wed May 23, 2012 5:12 pm

HaHa Aww, I'm pleased for you Smile
myfishforsale
myfishforsale
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wed May 23, 2012 5:14 pm

God knows what its been eating, although the lid has been off so some mozzie eggs etc I would expect thats what its eaten, unless its eaten its brothers & sisters too Sad
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Wed May 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Awwww fantastic!!!!! Proof for any disbelievers! Very Happy
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

http://rachellefryatt.blogspot.co.uk/p/art.html

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Wed May 23, 2012 6:49 pm

That's amazing! Congratulations!

I'm having a little trouble making it out from the pic though. It probably has been eating its siblings, might be time to start introducing some small live foods. Microworms might be good.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygoodwrench Wed May 23, 2012 6:50 pm

We need a growth log on him, Star...
ladygoodwrench
ladygoodwrench
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wed May 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Sam I think with the lid being off the mozzies have been laying in the water, there are quite a few small wriggly things in the tank, newly hatched bloodworm possibly??.

I will endeavour to get a better picture, sadly I have not seen it agian since I took the pic this morning, being 1/2" long in a 5ft x 20" tank he is a bit hard to spot lol
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Wed May 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Can't see the mouth but will it be large enough to take mosquito larvae?

No rush on the pics, I'm sure it's near impossible to spot him. There might be more too!?

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sun May 27, 2012 5:25 pm

I have counted 5 today, it looks like baby weather loach feed heavliy on algae!! some were at the surface grazing on the wood and plants, now whether it is the algae or the worms/larvae/eggs they were eating I couldnt see, but they are definately weather loach Smile

I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WOW  - Page 2 001-74

I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WOW  - Page 2 003-72

I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WOW  - Page 2 010-41

I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WOW  - Page 2 011-42

I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WOW  - Page 2 014-35
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygoodwrench Sun May 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Outstanding pictures!!!!
ladygoodwrench
ladygoodwrench
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Sun May 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Absolutely amazing!! Well done Star!

Does this make you one of the first people to have tank bred weather loach in the uk? Maybe the world?

They look awesome and no doubt what they are.

Brilliant!

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sun May 27, 2012 6:19 pm

lol Sam that is something I cannot answer, the forums I have posted on most people have never heard of anyone sucessfully breeding weather loach before. I have just joined PKF forum to ask if anyone else has managed it, just awaiting a reply. But it might look like I am the first in the uk to breed and raise some weather loach in an aquarium.

Ruddy exciting if it is excited
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Sun May 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Awww those are adorable! Fantastic news that there are so many, considering you weren't expecting any!
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sun May 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Well seeing 5 today was a bit of a shock, but how they can hide in that large gravel I am wondering now just how many there are!! and you saw the state the tank was in, I am shocked there are any lol
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Sun May 27, 2012 9:20 pm

The wonders of algae! What will you do with them now? Move them to a different tank?
Could they go in with their parents or do they pose too much of a risk to them?
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygoodwrench Sun May 27, 2012 9:24 pm

I will take the algae... my pleco won't let it stand a chance.. I used to have an algea problem.. the pleco and the nerites keep the tank crystal clear..
ladygoodwrench
ladygoodwrench
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum