The Fish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island'

4 posters

Go down

F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' Empty F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island'

Post by sjones_1 Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:41 am

Hey Guys, I brought a F1 adult group of these malawi shell dwellers (Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island') a few months back and have been trying to breed them since. I definitely have males and females and have seen all the behaviour I expected for breeding but am yet to get any of the females holding. They're lovely fish and although they seem grey in the pics they are a lovely powder blue with bright blue lips and stunning light blue strips throughout the tail. They have some really interesting behaviour. I can only find little snippets of information about them so i'm not quite sure how to encourage them to breed.

Sub-dominant Male (right)
F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' DSCF1032-2
F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' DSCF1026-2
F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' DSCF1025-2

Most Dominant Female
F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' DSCF1024-2

Less Dominant Female (left)
F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' DSCF1031-2

Smallest Unknown Sex - likely Female (right)
F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' DSCF1033-2

I'm keeping them like most other malawi cichlids in hard water and feeding them on spirulina pellets but they definitely have a taste for more meaty foods. I'm not sure how much protein to give them as I don't want them to get bloat.

Anyway, enjoy the pics,

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' Empty Re: F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island'

Post by Star Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Wow Sam those are just lovely, fingers crossed you get some fry Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' Empty Re: F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island'

Post by sjones_1 Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:31 pm

Isn't it just typical, right after I post about not having bred them yet they go and breed!

I returned home form work today to find the smallest fish (right hand fish in the last picture) holding. The only change to the tank/conditions is that I added a half coconut shell which I thought may imitate a shell? Who knows if this made any difference or whether it was just the right time. I'm hoping the other females will get the idea now.

I'm a little concerned that she is the smallest fish and will now not eat for about 16 days, as well as the fact that I'm eager to ensure the survival of this batch. I'm considering making an egg tumbler, do you think this is a step too far? If not I'd love some help to make one.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:48 pm

The man you need is Anthony, I know he has great sucess with the frontosa he had off me, I will mail him for you Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:45 pm

I have heard back from Anthony, he is going to do a video on the egg tumbler for you, he makes them and they work wonders.

As for stripping a female of the eggs, I have only read up on it never actually done it personally, but anthony has Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks Star! That sounds great. I'm going to leave her to it for a while so the fry are more developed when I strip her, give them the best chance.

I've stripped females in the past so that shouldn't be too bad.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Ah thats half the battle Smile I was tempted with my frontosa, but although I am ok holding fish I get terrified and the thought of stripping them I just couldnt do it Sad
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Thu May 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Well she's still holding one week on. I've been trying to see into her mouth as she breaths and can make out the orange yolk sacs of the fry.

I will probably look at stripping her some time early next week before she spits them out and they get eaten. I've got everything ready for the little guys and am hopeful I can raise them.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Thu May 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Brilliant looking forward to seeing what happens Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Fri May 04, 2012 12:06 pm

Beautiful little fish!
Just out of curiosity, how do you strip a fish? o.O
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

http://rachellefryatt.blogspot.co.uk/p/art.html

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Fri May 04, 2012 12:09 pm

The way I've done it in the past is to carefully catch the fish without stressing her out too much and then with wet hands you hold her in one hand whilst opening her mouth with the other. You can then dip her head into a tank of water and the babies are released. You have to do it until you get a couple of dunks where no fry come out as they can hold onto them for longer than you think.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AN7NY Fri May 04, 2012 10:09 pm

sorry i ent done the vid yet as iv bin really busy, did ya still want me to make 1 or do ya want me t tell ya how to make them.
AN7NY
AN7NY
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Fri May 04, 2012 10:29 pm

Im hoping this time I won't need it but I might next time. So there is no need to rush the video. It'd still be great to see.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AN7NY Fri May 04, 2012 10:36 pm

ok, will do it when its quite hear an iv got 5 mins, will cost around £5 to make 1. or i can sell ya 1, lol
AN7NY
AN7NY
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Hey Guys,

Haven't updated this thread in a while. The female held for 14 days and then i stripped her of the fry. She had 14 of which 13 (one jumped into the parents tank and was eaten) are still living and have just been moved to bigger accommodation. Here they are a week ago:

F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' DSCF1040-2F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' DSCF1036-2

They've grown considerably since these pics were taken but I haven't been able to get any more pics.

I had to move them as the same female had been holding for the last 14 days and so I stripped her again tonight. She was carrying 53 fry!!!! A MASSIVE improvement on last time and I am throughly unprepared for this many.

F1 Malawi Shell Dwellers - Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' C2035803

I've now got to try and figure out how I am going to grow on so many! It's fair to say there may be a few juveniles to sell on in the future.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:10 am

Oh wow Sam that is a brilliant second spawn!!!!!, do you have enough tanks to grow them all out!
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:29 pm

Definately not, I've had to set up a temporary polybox 'tank' for the larger fry. Which were 13 but are now 14! I found the escapee in the adults tank. They'd left him alone and he seems to have been doing quite well.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:32 pm

Fantastic news about all the fry though Very Happy They're so pretty, even as fry.

I wish I had been able to keep my Clear-Seal tank, I've wanted shell dwellers for years and would have had a load off you >.<
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

http://rachellefryatt.blogspot.co.uk/p/art.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:39 am

How are these doing Sam Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:43 pm

I'm away in the US for 10 days so I don't really know. The last time I saw them they were all doing well and eating fine. I'm thinking I need to move the adults and fry on at some point soon. The problem is they'll need to be larger. It may be a different story when I get back. Smile

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:22 pm

I bet they will have grown Smile holiday or business your us trip Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 am

Kind of a business trip. All the fish are in the hands of the OH who is starting to get used to it and normally does a good job.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down