The Fish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions for garden rocks for malawi tank.

3 posters

Go down

Opinions for garden rocks for malawi tank. Empty Opinions for garden rocks for malawi tank.

Post by myfishforsale Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi all thanks for looking, i am after some as for choosing some rocks for my malawi setups. i am looking to raise th ph higher possibly between 8 -8.2 if i can.

I have ordered some fine crushed coral but can't imagine it buffering up the tank too much.
I am trying to avoid ocean rock as it can be come very messy and really isn't the look i'm going for not unless i had mbunas.
i was thinking of using sand stone however speaking to the local garden center they have let me know it does have lime rock with in Again both are safe for malawis but as a rock is it good to use for an aquarium? and does it really raise the ph levels.

any advice is appreciated.
myfishforsale
myfishforsale
Fish Forum Member

http://www.myfishforsale.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Opinions for garden rocks for malawi tank. Empty Re: Opinions for garden rocks for malawi tank.

Post by Star Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Lime rock does help buffer up the ph, if you are getting it from a garden centre, boil it first to ensure any concrete dust etc is removed Smile.

Its a shame your so far away I still have a few bits of rock lying around here, I wont keep africans again.
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Opinions for garden rocks for malawi tank. Empty Re: Opinions for garden rocks for malawi tank.

Post by myfishforsale Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks star Your opinion is appreciated Smile i always ensure i boil any rocks i received just incase.
i think the color would suit the setup better and for the fish i have is good enough, i just wanted to ensure it was safe.

How come you wouldn't keep africans again?
myfishforsale
myfishforsale
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:07 pm

I was spoilt with my Frontosa, no other africans really do it for me Sad
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by myfishforsale Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:10 pm

oh i see, i love my africans i enjoy the colors they can be even more so when in their mating suits.
myfishforsale
myfishforsale
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AN7NY Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:53 pm

Alright mate. I ent sure about the rocks but I put loads of coral gravel In one of my externals to higher the ph an it is stable at 7.9.
AN7NY
AN7NY
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by myfishforsale Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:57 pm

That's great to know, I have brought 25 kilos worth to split over 2 tanks, will be mixing it with current substrate and removing a bit from each tank, i'm hoping i don't cause to much problems, The rocks to me are a back up as well as decorative thing.
having haps and alunacaras they love open water so rocks and caves to them aren't as important.

Thank you for letting me know though it is appreciated and very good to know.
myfishforsale
myfishforsale
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down