The Fish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cutteri Cichlid

4 posters

Go down

Cutteri Cichlid Empty Cutteri Cichlid

Post by Pirate Monkey Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:12 pm

Family:

Sub Family:

Distribution: Guatemala, Honduras and Belize Although it is thought that Belize is home to the closely related Archocentrus spilurum. It is possible these are colour morphs of the same species.

Tank Set up: A single specimen will get on well in a peaceful to low agression SA/CA community, as would a pair, although for breeding they require they're own tank. I have kept them with A. sajica, T. meeki and (juvenile) A. rivalatus with success, as well as various SA cichlids. Clean water, with plenty of (fake) plants, rocks and wood.

Temperature: 75- 80 deg F

pH: 7.2 - 7.6

Maximum Size: 5"

Feeding:a good quality cichlid staple, supplemented with frozen foods, vegetables. they seem to eat anything.

Sexual Dimorphism: The male is slightly deeper bodied than the female and more colourful in general. He has the pointed fin extensions characteristic of most cichlids and the fins are more wine coloured, whereas the female has grey fins.

Breeding: Very easy to breed, take a male and a female and put in a tank! When they are getting ready to spawn, the colours of these fish change to dramatic white with black stripes. Their eyes turn black and the female's throat turns dark. The pair will flirt with each other, and find a suitable site to spawn. Spawning sites with my pair included underside of silk plants and under side of slates. They are very protective parents and had no trouble keeping their spawn safe from the other community cichlids. Fry are free swimming within a few days, and both parents remain protective. It is best to remove the male after a few more days however, as he may want to spawn again and the female may get stressed as a result. I didn't attempt to raise any of the fry so I have no further comments here. I kept three females and one male within a cichlid community. The pair formed within days and the male did not so much as batter an eyelid at the other females.

Notes: Whilst not the most stunning of the little stripy CA cichlids, I do find them quite attractive with their blue eyes. Consider them a nice alternative to convicts.

Female in normal colours:
Cutteri Cichlid DSCF0303

Female in breeding colours:
Cutteri Cichlid Spirillumpair7-1

Pair protecting their eggs (male has returned to normal colour after spawning)
Cutteri Cichlid Spirillumpair3

Pair with fry:
Cutteri Cichlid DSC00459

Pirate Monkey
Pirate Monkey
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Cutteri Cichlid Empty Re: Cutteri Cichlid

Post by Star Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Great write up and pics Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:03 pm

What beautiful little cichlids. I've never come across them before, but after reading this they'll be definitely something to look out for Smile
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

http://rachellefryatt.blogspot.co.uk/p/art.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Those are a lovely looking species O-o
Rusty
Rusty
Admin

https://thefishforum.darkbb.com