The Fish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting up fish keeping again soon :D

3 posters

Go down

Starting up fish keeping again soon :D Empty Starting up fish keeping again soon :D

Post by myfishforsale Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi all, been a while since i have posted, sorry for this, have moved to a new house and had to sell up Sad

Hopefully this weekend i will have a fish tank again Very Happy i have had a good think as to what i would like and here it is

i want to keep discus, damn am i mad?

Does anyone know of any good breeders, i do not want to buy from the fish shops most are of crap quality.

Also any help and advice for discus would be of great help, tips, tricks what ever it may be.

it will be some time before i get any fish but will be starting to setup as of the weekend Very Happy
myfishforsale
myfishforsale
Fish Forum Member

http://www.myfishforsale.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Starting up fish keeping again soon :D Empty Re: Starting up fish keeping again soon :D

Post by Star Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Hey flower Smile. Never kept discus myself, but a friend kept and bred some beauties. Clean water, clean water, clean water is a must, regular worming also, they are very susceptible to worms! A good reputable company for discus you will find on aquarist classifieds, birmingham discus I think they are called, they do deliver/post. Smile apart from that I am not much help Sad
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Starting up fish keeping again soon :D Empty Re: Starting up fish keeping again soon :D

Post by myfishforsale Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Hellooooooooooo Missie, How are you and the family?
And little dogs of course

Thanks for your tips, i had gathered discus were very tempremental. been looking at bits and pieces and have seen people using ro = water, are these fish that tempremental lol.
Thank you for the tip on the worms side, hmm sounds fun i hadn't seen anyone mention that part yet but the heads up is always apprecaited Very Happy

I may have to look at birmingham discus, will be getting the tank either friday or sunday Smile it's a smart 4 ft tank so fingers crossed lol.

Been doing a lot of painting and decorating Sad damn how booring it is, only another 4 rooms or so to do haha.

I hope everyone is well Very Happy
myfishforsale
myfishforsale
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:58 pm

Have you move again??? where are you know then? closer I hope Smile Smile checked out ac Birmingham discus is now Just discus
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by myfishforsale Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:02 pm

I don't want to comment on where i've moved to lol found some information of mine when doing some google searches and i wasn't best pleased lol.

I checked out ac Birmingham discus, i have sent i belive jon an email so will have to wait and see what he has to say Smile

from what i saw though he only had 2 types?

still doing my research sounds like they could be a challenge haha.

should be getting the tank sunday though Smile just going to confirm pick up with the guy i am getting it from in a minute Smile
myfishforsale
myfishforsale
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:15 pm

That's great news Very Happy How did it go with getting the tank?

What about Devotedly Discus? He seems quite expensive but is supposed to be very good? He delivers too.
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

http://rachellefryatt.blogspot.co.uk/p/art.html

Back to top Go down

Post by myfishforsale Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:24 pm

I got the tank on the weekend Smile didn't think much of the flimsy stand so that has been chopped up to make some shelving out of it.

I have looked at Devotedly Discus, he did seem pricy but don't mind paying extra for quality fish.

i'm in the process of cycling the tank, doing a fish cycle with the help of king british safe guard and safe water,

So far so good Smile

still a bit weary as i have had people mention daily water changes, needing r.o water ect.

Maybe i am just scaring myself , still weighing up my options haha.

I'm just over the moon we have a fish tank again, taken me 6 months but i am fish keeping again. Very Happy Very Happy
myfishforsale
myfishforsale
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:06 pm

There was a PFK magazine a couple of months ago about discus by one of the expert breeders. If I remember correctly he said it's largely a myth about discus needing R.O water and multiple weekly water changes. I think they said if you can find a shop that matches your own water closely, and if it's soft, you can usually get away without faffing around with r.o units and what not?

Will double check when I can find the magazine Razz
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

http://rachellefryatt.blogspot.co.uk/p/art.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:55 am

I have heard the same. I think it is more the wild discus that need the extra attention, years of tank breeding has made some strains not to delicate (I beleive)
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by myfishforsale Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:16 pm

Thank you for the information, I'm still faffing around with the tank and ensuring the water parameters are safe enough before getting any.
I am worried about spending out a lot on a few nice discus to only lose them, i am very cautious as it is fish keeping, i do often water changes and like to match a setup similar to what the fish maybe used to in the wild. in some ways or another.

still waiting on more plants to arrive, can't wait to see what they are like. and have now added a nice large piece of wood. however a week on it is still tainting the water Sad

will get a picture up asap

Thank you for the information as always Smile
myfishforsale
myfishforsale
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:00 pm

I have asked a friend who keeps discus, HMA systems are easier than RO systems, now what the difference is I am not sure as I dont get into the technical side, I think RO removes everything from the water including minerals. Might be worth a good googling Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down