The Fish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Krobia

2 posters

Go down

New Krobia Empty New Krobia

Post by Star Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:05 pm

The 2 little krobia are settling in well now, they spent the first week hiding in all the wood rarely seen, big waterchange and slight re-scape yesterday brought them both out and about. They are male & female, going on their body language. The smallest being the female, and a tart!! lol, she was following buddy my large male around the tank shimmying and flaring at him, he isnt taking a blind bit of notice, he didnt with my origional female (I think she died of frustration trying to get him jiggy with it!!), and she is followed around by the smaller male who is doing his best to impress her and she is not interested in him awwww. Little missy after getting no joy with the big krobia male went sashaying around chilli the blue acara and chilli flared back (oh crumbs noooooo) the little male went hiding behind the big male, who shooed off the ba. Then little missy spotted titan my true parrot, now I know the TP are a species on their own not related to any others, but I suppose to a little krobia the look of a tp must look acara "ish" but Titan just rolled his eyes and charged at her and she swam off as fast as her little fins would take her. (thats about all titan does opens his mouth lunges forward and stops).

I have created a cave just big enough for the two little ones, the male is in there cleaning (wish my hubby would clean lol) and little missy seems to go in and out of the cave to inspect it. Here is hoping after her flirting with the other males in the tank she does pick the right one. Now they are getting more confident I will try and get some pics Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

New Krobia Empty Re: New Krobia

Post by Flute Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:55 pm

I'm so happy to hear that they're doing so well!! Very Happy Fingers crossed that they'll breed for you Smile It would be cool though if she paired up with Buddy though, as they're not related and all that.

When you come near the tank do they shoot off and hide? The two I have left have gained a lot more confidence since I got the new tank, but still hide if I move and they see me.
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

http://rachellefryatt.blogspot.co.uk/p/art.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:25 pm

The male still hides when I go near the tank, the female is much more confident. I am hoping she does get buddy interested at some point.

Male....hiding because of the camera
New Krobia 017-26

Female........strutting her stuff lol,
New Krobia 020-14

I will try and get a pic of one of them next to buddy if I can.
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:34 pm

Brilliant! Very Happy The two smallest were always more outgoing than the bigger ones. I couldn't believe how big Buddy is, he has got to be one of the most beautiful fish I've ever seen!

If I can get some new photos, do you think you could have a guess at what sex my two could be? I know they're difficult but you have good intuition Very Happy
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:38 pm

Buddy is huge isnt he!! these krobia are suppose to max out at around 4", I think he is a little bigger than that.

If you can get a good side on picture of them with their fins erect I can give it a bash, I have mostly gone on gut instinct and a couple of tiny differences in head shape and fins.
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Definitely! He is crazy deep bodied too. Absolutely stunning fish!

I'll try later once I've done a water change- they all seem to come out after that. Thankies Star ^^

It's amused me so much that the little one is flirting with everything Very Happy
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:35 pm

These two are growing rapidly Smile no where near Buddy size though yet. Unfortunately the little female is still more interested in Chilli the blue acara, so as soon as I can catch him he will be moved tank.

New Krobia 001-77

New Krobia 002-69

Buddy just got his nose in this shot lol
New Krobia 003-75
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Awww lovely to see photos of them Very Happy And she's a bit of a daft one! Is there potential that she could cross breed with the acara?

Are they any more confident yet or are they still skittish?
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:15 pm

Yes she could spawn with the acara, that is why I will move him, I dont want her falling in love lol. They are lots more confident out and about a lot now, but they do tend to get a little worried when the Belem severums go off on one (the 3 queens I call them now lol) every so often they bicker with each other and it scares the little krobia a bit, but they are getting used to the handbag sqabbles and are starting to ignor them at last.
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:40 pm

That's brilliant news Very Happy I didn't think it'd take them long to become much more outgoing in your tank Very Happy

Not that hybrids would be a good thing, but I bet they'd be beautiful babies! And those Belems were fantastic, I was amazed when they started doing rolls to get your attention!
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:01 pm

If they werent to be an endangered species I would be tempted I bet a krobia ba x would be stunning.

The somersault and rolls seem to be a severum thing, vinny used to do roll after roll after roll, Harry the other red spot does try but his belly is too big lol, the rotkei male used to do it but I have never seen the femal do it. The 3 boys are forever rolling to get attention lol
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:33 pm

I be they would!

I couldn't believe that they were doing, it literally seemed to be purely because they wanted attention from you XD
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:24 pm

Babies have grown a bit Smile

New Krobia Picture096
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Awww, great to see they're doing well (not that I doubted they would in your care! Razz). Any signs of them pairing?
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:52 pm

They have their own little area, buddy my large male has completely lost interest in them Sad
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:17 am

Oh dear, maybe he just doesn't feel that way about the ladies, lol.
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down