The Fish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oxygenating Tablets

3 posters

Go down

Oxygenating Tablets Empty Oxygenating Tablets

Post by Flute Fri May 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Anyone know if these would be ok to use with fish in bags? I'm moving the fish to my new place tomorrow, and I couldn't find bag buddies anywhere (even online). I saw "Supa Oxygenating Tablets" and at 93p I figured I'd get them just in case they'd come in handy.

They're supposed to be used in small aquariums and bowls which have no source of oxygenation. 2 tablets per 5 litres, so maybe half a tablet per bag? I'm just worried that they'd do more harm than good in such a small space.

Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

http://rachellefryatt.blogspot.co.uk/p/art.html

Back to top Go down

Oxygenating Tablets Empty Re: Oxygenating Tablets

Post by sjones_1 Fri May 04, 2012 10:13 pm

I thought you were only moving them for 2 or so hours? I do this (Cambridge to Birmingham) regularly and never do anything special. Just bag them up as normal and place in a polybox. I've NEVER had any problems. I've even taken them on a coach (3hrs) and trains (3hrs+).

On short journeys such as this keeping them warm and acclimatising them well is what's most important.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Fri May 04, 2012 10:40 pm

Ah right, cheers ^^ It's good to hear that it's worked for others Very Happy
I have a little bit of bubble wrap, and several poly boxes, so I'll pad them all with newspaper. Erm.....trying to think of what I could use for the ones that don't have bubble wrap. Tin foil wouldn't be any good, would it? Razz

I'm just panicking a little because I've never moved fish this large (the krobia, keyholes, etc.), hehe, which aren't huge I know, but I've only ever moved tetra and betta Smile

The other thing I'm worried about is moving the filter media- internal is easy- stick them in a bag with water to cover and loads of air. The external (All Pond Solutions) media I'm not sure about. Should I just stick the individual media types in bags, fill with water and make sure there's plenty of air?
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Fri May 04, 2012 10:45 pm

You can use balked up news paper or fish bags filled with air if you don't have enough bubble wrap.

I've moved large angels, geo's and discus like this with no problems. Enough water and lots of air. Keep them warm and don't shake them around too much.

Your plan for the media sounds good. You will lose some bacteria so just keep an eye on your levels when you set everything back up.

Remember to plan your day around the fish being last thing you pack and the first thing you unpack.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Fri May 04, 2012 10:48 pm

None on Ebay !!!!!!! thats so unusual, as Sam says they would be ok without for that lenght of time, I would be tempted not to use the oxygenating tabs as its a little hit and miss guessing how much to put in the bag.
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Fri May 04, 2012 11:51 pm

Yup, none at all on ebay. Couldn't find any on google shopping either, which is really odd :S

Ok, thanks guys Smile It's either tomorrow or Monday we're moving them, they're the only things we're transporting so they'll have full attention Smile

Got a big plastic box today to put my bogwood that has rooted plants in, so I'll be able to put a bit of tank water in that too Smile Thankfully the tap water conditions aren't hugely different to what we have here.

I felt the same way about those tablets, but I thought I may as well get them just in case Smile
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sat May 05, 2012 10:04 am

Very weird, I wonder if they have suddenly stopped making them!! I hope not they are ruddy great!

Best of luck with the move, I am sure everything is going to be fine Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sun May 06, 2012 10:43 am

How did the move go?
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Sun May 06, 2012 7:18 pm

We got there in one piece. Everyone made the journey ok, they're all out in the tanks searching for food. The keyholes immedietly teamed up and started bossing over everyone.

The betta beat each other up a little and are a little scruffy but I think they'll be ok. No other injuries thankfully.

So all in all, it went well Smile I just don't want to do it again for a while! Razz
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sun May 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Great news, I knew you would be fine Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Sun May 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Great stuff! Relatively short trips are normally fine. I'm moving fish again tomorrow Smile
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Sun May 06, 2012 8:56 pm

They were in bags for a while longer than I would have liked (between 3 and 4 hours), but they all seem fine Smile Going to give them a feed in a minute, that way I'll know for definite if they're ok or not Razz

I know moving the filters will have knocked the bacteria a bit, so I was think of doing small water changes daily just to be safe? The only thing that didn't make it was any test tubes for my API kits >.< So I'll be doing things blindly until I can get replacement tests.

*Does a dance* Bryn has said yes to getting me a new APS tank soon, at least I'll only have to put the fish in a container whilst I change tanks over ^^'

And good luck tomorrow with the move Very Happy
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sun May 06, 2012 9:11 pm

The filters should be no worse than a normal cleaning really, but a small change wouldnt harm really just till the tank settles Smile

Brill news on the tank Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Sun May 06, 2012 9:44 pm

Everyone went nuts for food Very Happy They haven't been fed since Tuesday, so I think they've quickly forgotten the hardships they've been through today, lol
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum