The Fish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transporting Cichlids

2 posters

Go down

Transporting Cichlids Empty Transporting Cichlids

Post by Flute Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:27 pm

Okies, so I'm transporting my fish and tanks next Saturday, so I'm ordering bags, bag buddies, heat packs, etc. now so that they're ready to go on Saturday. I have loads of poly boxes left over from when I've ordered fish online.
I have plenty of small bags that would be ok for fish like the betta and corys, but the Krobia especially have gotten quite large. So I'm ordering larger bags, which I will double bag. My main question is really, would it be safer to transport them each in their own bags? When they're stressed they do tend to turn on each other. Plus a bag each would give them a lot more oxygen and room.

Then there's the keyholes; I think they've just started to pair up, and I don't want risk causing problems when they get put back in the tank, so would they be ok together in a larger bag? The male is hell of a lot bigger than the female.

The drive is only about 2 hours and 20 mins, so it's not going to be too bad for them. I just want to make it as easy as possible for them all Smile
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

http://rachellefryatt.blogspot.co.uk/p/art.html

Back to top Go down

Transporting Cichlids Empty Re: Transporting Cichlids

Post by Star Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Personally bag all the cichlids seperately if you are able to. When you get the other end release the female keyhole before the male give her a few mins on her own before releasing the male, that way he is going into her territory rather than the other way around. Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Grand, cheers Star Smile I've found 25 bags that are 10" x 20" on ebay which I think'll be big enough.

If the journey had been longer I would have gone for the cooler box method, but it's an easy and quick trip. Plus, my mams driving would have me worried about the poor buggers being thrown about in a box! Razz
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

http://rachellefryatt.blogspot.co.uk/p/art.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:50 pm

those should be plenty big enough Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down