The Fish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storm & Ruby Stories/updates

4 posters

Go down

Storm & Ruby Stories/updates Empty Storm & Ruby Stories/updates

Post by Star Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:54 pm

Rather than a new thread for each thing I thought it be nice to just do one.

Well Storm has been with us now just 10 days, we have house training cracked, just the very odd accident if I am busy and no one else gets off their backside to open the back door !! Rolling Eyes Kes has learnt to play, and I mean really play, its great to see. Considering Kes's fear agression problems she is really very good with Storm and tolerates her barking in her face, any other dog would have been torn to shreds!

Training: we have sit & down cracked. Stand we are working on in conjunction with being brushed and handled (checking teeth, eyes ears etc) we are lengthening wait now upto 30 seconds. And she is terriffic at fetch. Todays breakthrough was eating dinner, instead of her being shut in the kitchen barking her head off, she was allowed out and after a couple of *reminders she settled down quietly not looking at us while we ate (I cant stand eating with a dog drooling over my plate).

I say we, but most of the training has been done by me, but my eldest has turned out to be a fantastic dog handler!! he is patient and calm and its about the only time he listens and does what I say when we are working with Storm.

*reminders: The eldest and I have been using Ceaser Milan technique of just standing up and walking towards her no touch no talk no eye contact when we have had something to eat, tonight both of us controlled Storm Smile She is one smart little dog Smile

Last edited by Star on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Storm & Ruby Stories/updates Empty Re: Storm & Ruby Stories/updates

Post by ladygoodwrench Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:56 pm

I used to be a professional dog trainer in my younger days. I trained and certified my mom's first hearing guide dog. That was so much fun!!!!! I used a combination of Koehler, and Strickland methods of training.
ladygoodwrench
ladygoodwrench
Fish Forum Member

http://autotechsonline.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:28 am

She sounds fantastic! Very Happy Puppy training is always so much fun, I never understand why people can't be bothered with it.

How long have you got left till the second pup arrives?

I love Ceaser Milans techniques and attitude; it works so well. It turned our badly behaved and destructive GSD into a laid back soppy old thing Very Happy
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

http://rachellefryatt.blogspot.co.uk/p/art.html

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygoodwrench Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:31 am

Would like to see some books on the Cesar Milans technique..
ladygoodwrench
ladygoodwrench
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:33 am

I've read one of them, very good and amazingly helpful. And it's lovely to read how obvious his respect and affection for dogs is.
It was like a light bulb went on as to why Codie was being a right little git.

You should be able to get them on Amazon Smile
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygoodwrench Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:34 am

I will try a book store someday.. might even try moonlighting on my dog training again someday..
ladygoodwrench
ladygoodwrench
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:38 pm

Ooooh come over to me and train my Kes then Smile, no matter what techniques I try I just cannot get her to walk on a lead without squealing and howling for half the walk. Getting her past other dogs is a nightmare, sometimes she will walk past no problem other times she goes right off on one barking and snarling like something possessed. There seems to be no trigger for her sudden agression.

Storm is a very easy dog to train, she is so food orientated she is a doddle. I pick our other one up this Friday excited
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygoodwrench Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:33 pm

If I was near you.. I would be there in a heart beat to work with your dogs... I am a little rusty, though.. been almost 15 years since I did any training...
ladygoodwrench
ladygoodwrench
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:00 pm

It would be great to one day get some true professional help, Kes was thrown out of junior puppy class, other training classes I have tried she got thrown out of, the trainer that used to run the dog swimming pool that I took Kes too gave up and hid in the office each time we came for our swimming session Sad, she is not a bad dog, she just gets upset at the slightest thing, no reason or pattern to it, I have been trying for 7 years, she is not food orientated, she has only just learnt what toys are for so that was out, clicker training sent her wild she is just difficult Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygoodwrench Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:41 pm

That would be an awesome challenge..
ladygoodwrench
ladygoodwrench
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:34 am

Have you tried any of Ceaser's books Star? This one especially sounds handy: Ceaser's Rules: Your Way to Train a Well-Behaved Dog

"Your dog just doesn't seem to listen. You've been through obedience training, but he still can't seem to master the most basic commands. And nothing you do seems to prevent him from misbehaving. 'Clients usually come to me when their dogs are ruining their lives, not when they won't sit,' says Cesar. 'But everywhere I go, people are telling me they are confused about the wide variety of training options and theories out there.' Now, in his usual straightforward, confident manner, Cesar takes on the topic of training for the first time, by explaining the importance of balance as the foundation for a healthy relationship between you and your dog. He calls upon some of the foremost experts in the field so that you can find the perfect approach that works for you and your dog.

Filled with practical advice, anecdotes, tips, and trouble-shooting techniques from Cesar and his colleagues, this is the ultimate guide to a well-behaved and well-balanced dog - from a new puppy to an old dog who can still learn new tricks."

Our first German Shepherd, Kai, was untrainable. He was dominant aggressive and really should have been a working dog. Then again my parents were soft as hell with him and let him get away with anything >.<
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:47 am

Hmmm thanks Flute that looks really interesting Smile, she is picking up things at the moment with me working with Storm, she seems to copy her, like when someone goes out the front door, kes is a nightmare she has to be at the door, no amount of walking her back makes her stop, yet when I do it with Storm, Kes is is now copying Smile

She can sit, but down is frustrating because as soon as I get Kes down she falls over to her side and starts whining and crying!!! as if I am going to beat her. Kes's most upsetting problem is just petting her, if she is standing up and comes to me for a fuss and I start stroking her she starts turning in circles with her head down then will cry as if physical touch is painful too her, there is no medical reason for it we have her all checked out. All these things make her out very submissive, yet as soon as her lead is on she turns into a completely different dog.

On the Storm front we had our first dry night Smile she went to bed at 11.30, got me up at 5.30 and never needed to use the paper Smile Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Ruby arrived todaY (well I went and collected her Smile) she is a little gem and so tiny compared to storm.

Storm & Ruby Stories/updates 032-7

Storm & Ruby Stories/updates 031-6

Storm & Ruby Stories/updates 030-5

She found her own bed, dragging a blanket inside the middle section of the rio 400 lol
Storm & Ruby Stories/updates 027-11
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:00 pm

5 days of having 2 puppies I am absolutely exhausted through lack of sleep, as I expected once they are awake they want to play, even at 3am, but I am deleriously happy.

Kes is being unbelievable, she ADORES Ruby, following her everywhere and trying so hard to play with her, but being so tiny Ruby is a little scared of Kes.

Storm has a serious food agression problem which I am working on, I can now handle her bowl and put food in without her biting me, but she wont allow the other dogs to just walk past. This is worrying as the boys tend to wander around while the dogs are eating, but it can be worked on an cured. She is also a food thief and will steal anything if she can, she helped herself to a mouthful of hubby's dinner tonight, not looking forward to chicken curry coming out the other end Sad

Ruby is the funniest little thing, her backside is too big and it wobbles so much when she walks. She knows now to go out into the garden when she needs the toilet, but occasionally leaves it a little late and doesnt quite make it outside, but again for 8 weeks old that is fantastic, but she has earned the nickname of the puddle monster Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygoodwrench Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:56 pm

I don't envy you, Star. You have quite a plate full with 2 puppies..
ladygoodwrench
ladygoodwrench
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:53 am

I am absolutely loving it Smile (at the moment) both puppies are clever but so different in personalities. Storm is very head strong, but very clever with a mischievous streak, she is quite aloof with her attitude she is not a cuddle monster wanting fuss all the time, very much like Jodie, in fact she is so spookily like Jodie was its brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion.

Ruby on the other hand wants love all day and her tail wags none stop (and her bum, legs and half way up her back lol), when she plays she is like a cat, pouncing on things usually poor storm, I keep expecting her to kick her back legs she is so much like a cat in her play.

I got a good night sleep last night (would have been better if hubby wasnt being amourous!!) the pups were fast asleep by midnight and didnt wake up until 6am, 1 puddle from the puddle monster (missed the paper!) but all went out dispite it pouring down with rain.
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:43 pm

PICS Smile

Storm is at that lovely leggy stage, where her legs are so long they look wrong, but she is growing into a beautiful little girl.

Storm & Ruby Stories/updates 001-70

Storm & Ruby Stories/updates 010-39

Need a bigger sofa lol
Storm & Ruby Stories/updates 002-61

Her funny toe looks as if the nail is growing in the wrong direction, I doubt its going to be a bother when she is older. I am starting to think its more her barking attitude that got her returned rather than the toe, a working lurcher needs to be silent and Storm likes to make herself heard!
Storm & Ruby Stories/updates 013-30

Ruby is just adorable, she is such a happy puppy, her tail is forever wagging, when she is awake anyway lol
Storm & Ruby Stories/updates 006-50

Storm & Ruby Stories/updates 008-44

Storm & Ruby Stories/updates 011-39
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygoodwrench Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:47 pm

Sweet babies...
ladygoodwrench
ladygoodwrench
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Ruffians pinched the boys skateboard today, they had a wheel of a time lol

Storm & Ruby Stories/updates 002-62

Storm & Ruby Stories/updates 001-71
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:42 pm

They're both stunning.

And heh, yeah I love that leggy stage in lurchers.
Rusty
Rusty
Admin

https://thefishforum.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:27 pm

Well the terrors have grown too. Ruby is just adorable, so sweet natured she reminds me of Lizzie. Storm is a horror!!! barks constantly, steals anything thats not nailed down and steals stuff that is nailed down (she has removed all the carpet grippers!!!)

Storm & Ruby Stories/updates Picture121
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum