The Fish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Platy's for 6 Years

3 posters

Go down

First Platy's for 6 Years Empty First Platy's for 6 Years

Post by sjones_1 Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:12 pm

Hey Everyone,

yesterday I bought my first platy's for 6 years. It was very strange to go into a fish shop and not just skip past their section but instead actually go looking for them. Once I stopped to look there were some really nice fish and it was actually hard to choose which three (1 male, 2 Female) I wanted.

The idea with these is to breed them, collect and grow as many fry as possible and stock the office tank with the juvenille fish. The office tank has been getting quite bar recently and people have started to lose interest. I'm hoping some brightly coloured, active livebearers may get them interested again.

I went for; one white with black spots (which I'm calling dalmatian) female like this, one half black tuxedo (with shiny green scales) female like this and one full black (with green shiny scales) male like this. The females should already be pregnant and so their first drop won't be this males fry so should hold some surprises. After the first drop I would assume he will do his thing and I'll have to wait for even more surprises.

I'm actually excited to see what I get,

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

First Platy's for 6 Years Empty Re: First Platy's for 6 Years

Post by Star Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:33 pm

There are some very pretty ones about just lately Smile
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygoodwrench Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:39 pm

I have Calico Platys.. I just put my original 3 juveniles in the big tank last week, and they are doing remarkably well.. I have 17 more in the nursery.. almost 3 weeks old.. they will store enough sperm for up to 4 pregnancies.. so you will have plenty babies to go around.
ladygoodwrench
ladygoodwrench
Fish Forum Member

http://autotechsonline.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Little update;

About a week or so after getting these one of the females began to drop in my office tank. I was just on my way home when I spotted her. I stayed to catch her and subsequently each fry for the next 1-2 hours (we didn't have a livebearer box). I immediately took the fry home with me and placed them in a breeder box in my home tank. They've been fed on BBS etc since then and have grown great. Here are some pics, you can just see the black starting on their flanks;

First Platy's for 6 Years 348aada9
First Platy's for 6 Years 12d1c841

Sam

Last edited by sjones_1 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:39 pm

They have grown quick !!!
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content