The Fish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gutted :(

4 posters

Go down

Gutted :( Empty Gutted :(

Post by Flute Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:05 am

So the little Philippine Blue angelfish that I treated for worms has taken a massive turn for the worst. He was very quiet yesterday, and although he ate a few bloodworm, he wouldn't actually come out of his hiding space. I thought maybe one of the other angels was just being a cow bag for the day, and decided to keep an eye on things and see what he was like today.

Nothing out of the ordinary until about an hour ago, when I noticed him spiralling around on his side, curved over. His fins are tattered, so someone's had a go at him. Gutted doesn't even cover it, as he was really starting to show signs of recovery. I was going to euthanise him there and then, but he was really obviously fighting to keep going. So I've got him in a 35 ltr tank, and I'm going to give him the night to see if he improves. He seems a lot calmer now, and has straightened out and isn't all horrible curved over. I'm not hopeful that he'll pull through this, but I want to try. If there's no obvious sign of improvement tomorrow, or if he starts to suffer more, then I'll euthanise him.

I've only added aquarium salt for now, just wondering if melafix is safe to use along side? I honestly don't really know what else to use for treatment, so I thought these two would be a good base to start with. If anyone else has any ideas I'd be very grateful.

*Sigh* Not a great start to keeping angelfish Sad
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

http://rachellefryatt.blogspot.co.uk/p/art.html

Back to top Go down

Gutted :( Empty Re: Gutted :(

Post by Rusty Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:58 am

Bah, thats just awful.

Really sorry Flute Sad

Fingers crossed he perks up by morning.
Rusty
Rusty
Admin

https://thefishforum.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:58 am

He didn't make it through the night Sad

Poor guy D:
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AN7NY Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:08 pm

really sorry to hear that,
AN7NY
AN7NY
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:21 pm

Me too Sad He was such a pretty wee thing.

Gonna have to figure out what to do with the others now. I don't know how difficult it'll be to introduce new angels into the tank. I'll re-arrange everything prior to adding any new fish and what not. Not sure if I should get just 1 new angels or 2, and would 2 more be pushing the tank too much? (That would up the number to 5 angels). And should I go for juveniles or more mature fish? Gah, glad I don't have to think about it for a few weeks until pay day. I'll just keep a really close eye on them until then to make sure they don't fight.
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sjones_1 Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 am

Really sorry to hear this. Hope the rest are doing well.

I've just added 4 Angels to a tank contains one adult female. She wasn't very happy about the new arrivals and has been chasing them and nipping them a lot but it's nothing they can't handle and it will stop once she's happy she's shown them who's boss. You should be find adding more Angels, re-arranging the tanks a good idea.

Sam
sjones_1
sjones_1
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Flute Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:34 am

The other 3 are thriving thankfully. Just wish the smaller of the smokey blue wouldn't have a go at the others fins.

What would you suggest Sam, that I go for juveniles, or should I try and find some that are at least the same size as my existing ones? Or even bigger? The one I lost was a lot smaller than the other 3.

Also, with a stocking of the following, do you think I could get away with getting two new ones? At some point within the next year, they will either be upgraded to a 5 foot, or split into another 220ltr.

40"x18"x18"

Current stocking:

2 keyholes
2 krobia xingu
3 angels
1 pearl gourami
1 golden panchax
1 bristlenose pleco
2 albino corys
1 bronze cory
1 adolfi cory
7 julii cory

I know it's tightly stocked as it is, but I have two filters running on it and do 2x weely water changes and like I said, they will get upgraded, hopefully within 6 months or so.
I'm just a bit worried about introducing one angel to the group on it's own, you know?
Flute
Flute
Fish Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum